We are so lucky to work with talented makeup artists who bring out the best in our brides. Bridal beauty is such an important part of your big day—an opportunity to look and feel your absolute best for the most special day of your life. Professional makeup is key for a little confidence boost, makeup that lasts until your final getaway, and stunning wedding photos you’ll love for a lifetime.
But before you sit in your stylist’s chair, there are a few things you should know. We chatted with a couple of our favorite stylists about bridal beauty, and took notes on their best tips!
So here are a few do’s and don’ts to keep in mind while getting your makeup done professionally:
- Arrive with a clean face. Let your stylist handle all the beautifying! Remove all makeup the night before your wedding; in particular, be sure to use eye makeup remover to clean off your rehearsal dinner makeup. A totally natural face is the perfect blank canvas for your makeup artist to bring your wedding-day look to life!
- Use a straw if you need to drink water. If you’re thirsty, make sure you use a straw to drink your water so you won’t smudge any lip color or chance any spills. You can ask one of your bridesmaids to pick up cute straws and bring them to the big day!
- Trust your makeup stylist. Pinterest is always a fun tool for makeup inspiration, but don’t expect to end the session looking exactly like your inspiration photo. Your stylist is an expert, well-trained in the best way to accentuate your face structure and skin tones.
- Don’t get upset if your stylist says a particular look is not realistic for you. It may be hard to hear that you can’t get those voluminous beachy waves… but it’s better to hear it now than to have flat hair on your wedding day. Always trust your stylist!
- Don’t check your phone during the session. Your stylist needs to be able to direct your eyes so she can properly apply makeup. Don’t worry…. you’ll have plenty of time to take all the selfies after your makeup is complete! Just relax and enjoy a little bridal pampering for now.
- Don’t ask to see the mirror until your styling is complete. Trust your stylist, and wait until the end for the big reveal. You can always request changes after the look is complete.
Your stylists are always happy to help you look and feel stunning. But the reality is… it is not always a good idea to try to replicate a look you’ve found online, for a few reasons:
- You are a unique person, with uniquely beautiful features. Let your stylist accentuate your beauty, not try to replicate someone else’s.
- That is another makeup artist’s work. Your stylist may not specialize in that look!
- The online photo you found has probably been Photoshopped or filtered already; it may not be true to the actual real-life look. Instead of pulling a photo from Pinterest, try taking a look at your stylist’s Instagram account to see their real work and get inspired by that.
The best thing you can do is talk your stylist about why you like what you do. Start paying attention to the things you like: is it the dark smoky eye? Maybe it’s the fluffy full lashes, or a bold lip that catches your attention.
Realistic expectations are key to the perfect bridal beauty experience. Your stylists are on your side—they absolutely want to help you look and feel your most beautiful on your wedding day…. and so do we!