Dallas Wedding Planner | Wedding Traditions It’s Okay to Ignore
Nobody loves a traditional wedding like we do… time-honored traditions and classic taste will never go out of style! Traditions are an important part your wedding-day experience; they help facilitate memorable moments you’ll treasure for a lifetime. However, not all traditions are essential.
While wedding-day traditions can be meaningful, they’re not mandatory; after all, this is your special day! Every detail should reflect your personality—whether that includes tradition or not. Take a peek at our list of wedding traditions that, over time, have become totally optional:
- Not seeing each other before the wedding: we’re all in favor of the first look! Over the past few years, the first look has become the new tradition—and it’s easy to see why. First looks make your wedding-day schedule run much more smoothly, and give you and your sweetheart a private moment to savor the excitement of the big day. Learn more about benefits of a first look in our post with Tracy Autem Photography.
- Cake smash: we love the newlywed cake-cutting and champagne toast… but we have to confess, cake in the face is a tradition we can definitely do without. Preserve your dress and your makeup by opting out of the cake-bite exchange; the champagne toast will do just fine!
- Cake at all! that being said, many couples are now forgoing cake in favor of another sweet treat. If wedding cake isn’t your style, serve up delectable donuts, mouthwatering pastries, or even a custom dessert bar. Better yet? Serve them both! Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too?
- Garter toss: this tradition has declined in popularity over the years. Most brides still do a bouquet toss (although that is also optional!), but many couples are declining the garter toss. Trust us, your guests won’t miss this activity if you decide to do without it.
- White dresses: believe it or not, softly colored dresses are making a debut in the wedding industry. Subtle shades of color like champagne and blush are adding a new layer of elegance to bridal gowns. If you’re bold enough to embrace a new hue, feel free to skip the white gown!
As a Dallas wedding planner, we believe every celebration should be exactly what the bride and groom envision… and for some couples, that means skipping tradition! Any of the rituals on this list have become optional—meaning it’s up to you to decide whether or not they complement your special day.
Whether you’re a traditional bride embracing a completely classic ceremony, or a modern couple looking to mix things up… our Dallas wedding planner team is happy to help! We can’t wait to hear all about your vision for the big day—with or without these traditions.
Dallas Wedding Florist + Planner | A Stylish Soiree
Spring is in the air, and we certainly aren’t complaining! Though it’s a short season here in Texas, spring heralds the loveliest blooms, beautiful weddings, and the prettiest color palettes. This spring season, we’re embracing color with open arms! While ivory and blush will always be classic, a splash of color will transform your wedding day into a truly unforgettable event design.
Take a look at a few of our favorite combinations this season, and see which one could be right for your own special day:
Pastel Palette: what’s not to love about a romantic pastel palette? Let lavender take center stage, accented by soft pinks or blues. Pastels set a romantic tone for the big day, and capture the essence of springtime. And with this inspiration, mismatched bridesmaids dresses couldn’t be prettier!
Pops of Pink: don’t be afraid to dive into a bright pink palette. Bold pops of pink floral design never fail to make an impact. This is also a great choice for in-season flowers: you’ll be able to combine a variety of naturally vibrant blooms in each arrangement. From bridal bouquets to floral arches, every aspect of your celebration could use a dose of this cheerful color combination. Just let your Dallas wedding florist work their magic.
Vibrant Hues: even a combination a vibrant hues can be utterly elegant if composed carefully. We love to see couples who embrace a colorful palette and aren’t afraid to play with unique floral design. Try a pop of violet purple, cheerful peach, or bright red… or let us combine a few bright hues in one beautiful design. It takes a trained eye to combine a variety of vibrant hues, but we our team is definitely up to the challenge!
*Tip: Colorful palettes work especially well in open-concept venues! Vibrant arrangements provide a much-needed touch of contrast to a light and airy room.
These pretty palettes are just the beginning! Get inspired here, and then let us plan a custom event for you—carefully crafted to bring an elegant color palette to life.
When it comes to event design, a bit of color goes a long way to make your celebration memorable. Don’t be afraid to explore color combinations for your spring wedding… whether you choose romantic pastels or vibrant hues, your special day will be elegant and unforgettable!
Need ideas? We’re here to help! We’ve been a Dallas wedding florist and planning company for over a decade. Our team focuses on executing a seamless, unique celebration of your special day—completely tailored to your vision. We’d love to assist you with color palettes, vibrant floral designs, and detail-oriented planning; stop by our contact page to start the process!
DFW Wedding Planner | Kids-Free Etiquette
As a DFW wedding planner, we often run into a common question: “Is it okay to host a kids-free wedding?” The short answer is yes! Kids-free weddings are more common than ever. It’s your special day; the guest list should include whoever you want in attendance. However, there are a few etiquette guidelines to follow if you want to avoid stepping on any toes. Keep reading to get the inside scoop on how to be courteous (yet firm) about a no-kids wedding.
First, define your own boundaries. Have a conversation with your fiancé (and parents, if they’re involved) to decide where you want to draw the line. The easiest boundary is a hard and fast rule: absolutely no kids will be invited. However, you might use age as your rubric (whether it’s age ten, twelve, or sixteen… you decide!).
Whatever you choose, stick to the rule. No exceptions. Sticky etiquette situations are likely to occur once you make an exception—because even just one or two exceptions can lead you down a slippery slope. “If we invite Aunt Nancy’s kids, we really should include Uncle Kevin’s family too… and if they’re invited, we really can’t leave Susan’s kids out.” Create a rule that works for you… then stick to it!
Next, make it clear to guests that your wedding guest list does not include kids. It is not polite to indicate “adults only” on printed invitations. Instead, rely on formal etiquette to make your invitations clear. Address inner envelopes to specify guests within a family. Or, include a note on your RSVP card to avoid any confusion: “We have reserved 2 seats in your party’s honor. The favor of a reply is requested by July 18, 2017.”
Your wedding website is an acceptable place to make a statement: “We are so excited to celebrate with you! Because we have large extended families, we’ve decided to limit our guest list to adults-only. Thank you for understanding. We can’t wait to see you on the big day! Be courteous, but firm. The venue location and wedding timeline will also help set the appropriate tone; an evening ceremony on a downtown Dallas rooftop may not be ideal for children in the first place.
Finally, make it easy for guests who are parents. Keep in mind—you are essentially asking them to pay for a babysitter while they attend a party in your honor. Help them accommodate your kids-free wishes by sending invitations early, so they have ample time to make babysitting arrangements. And, of course, be courteous if you encounter any confusion. If a guest shows up at your wedding with a couple of little ones in tow, greet them with a warm welcome—don’t let it ruin your special day!
Any other etiquette questions? We’re here to help! In the last decade as a DFW wedding planner, we’ve heard it all. We’d be happy to assist you with any tricky formalities.
Dallas Wedding Flowers : Colorful Flashback
Today is Kelly and Kevin’s wedding anniversary! Looking back on their big day reminds us how much we adore spring weddings. This happy couple certainly wasn’t afraid of color. Their bright and bold blooms were the perfect complement to The Dallas Arboretum’s vibrant gardens. A perfectly sunny spring day set the tone for their outdoor ceremony; indoors, we brought a springtime feel to life with colorful floral designs, metallic details, and elegant décor.
This flashback is proof that a pop of color goes a long way in creating a memorable celebration. We’re still in love with these bold blooms… and we hope more couples follow suit with unforgettable color palettes! Take a look at our flashback to Kelly and Kevin’s big day:
Happy Anniversary, Kelly and Kevin! We had so much fun providing Dallas wedding flowers and coordination for your big day, and wish you many more years of happiness.
Coordination: A Stylish Soiree
Florals: A Stylish Soiree
Venue: The Dallas Arboretum
Photographer: Perez Photography
Ceremony Muisc: Serenata Strings
Catering: Gils Elegant Catering
Cake: The Cake Guys
Cake Balls: Let Them Eat Cake
Linens: BBJ Linens, La Tavola Linens
DJ and Lighting: Glenn Roush Entertainment
Hair and Makeup: Beauty & the Blush
Transportation: Wynne Motorcoaches
Dallas Wedding Floral Designer | A Stylish Soiree: Beloved Boutonnieres
While bridal bouquets and stunning centerpieces never fail to make us swoon, today we’re showcasing a smaller (but essential!) floral detail: the boutonniere. Though they are just one small detail, boutonnieres have a lot of personality! This miniature floral arrangement is the groom’s opportunity to express a bit of wedding-day style. When done well, a boutonniere complements the bride’s bouquet, but can also stand alone as a well-composed tiny floral design.
Boutonnieres are guaranteed to make your groom look dapper in every shot. Plus, they’re often used as the floral accent for your details photos! These small blooms pair perfectly with wedding stationery and ring shots, creating images that ultimately capture the essence of your once-in-a-lifetime celebration. And who doesn’t love a photo of the mother-of-the-groom pinning his boutonniere on the big day?
*Wedding-day tip: boutonnieres are pinned to the groom’s left-side lapel. Just remember: it goes over his heart, and on the same side as his wedding ring!
Boutonnieres express your unique wedding day style… whether formal and classic, playful and vibrant, or with a modern twist. We’ve done everything from traditional ivory blooms to greenery and succulents. Find a bit of inspiration from our past weddings!
Take a look at just a few of our beloved boutonnieres:
As a Dallas wedding floral designer, we love to compose one-of-a-kind arrangements… down to every detail, including the boutonniere! Every component of your special day ought to reflect your personal style. We believe no detail should go overlooked, even the smallest floral buds. We’re here to bring your vision to life, from the biggest centerpieces to the tiniest accessories.
Ready to chat about a custom floral design? We would love to hear about your wedding day vision! Feel free to get in touch so we can start dreaming up your one-of-a-kind floral décor—including a picture-perfect groom’s bouquet!
Dallas Wedding Planners | Why You’ll Love a Sweetheart Table
Seating all your friends and family at a reception – big or small – can be a delicate task. Who sits next to the bride and groom? Will your bridal party sit with you? What about grandparents? There’s no right or wrong answer, depending on your personal preference… as Dallas wedding planners + florists, we’ve designed hundreds of seating layouts, and each one beautifully represents the couple’s vision!
There are three major choices for seating the bride and groom:
- Head Table: a popular option, the head table typically offers seating for the newlywed couples and the bridal party, as well as parents (if desired). Head tables are a versatile choice; they can be scaled to seat any bridal party size, and their position within the room layout is flexible. They can also be decorated with stunning florals to set them apart from guest tables and add a bit of “wow factor” to your reception area.
- Regular Table: though not very common, couples can certainly opt for a regular guest table—which would usually seat the newlyweds, parents, and maid of honor/best man. Luxe linens and floral design will ensure the table is distinctive, but overall this choice is a more subtle option that will place brides and grooms amidst their guests.
- Sweetheart Table: today we’ll be highlighting the sweetheart table! An increasingly popular trend, sweetheart tables are set just for two: the bride and groom. Plus, they offer remarkable benefits to the happy couple. Read on to learn why you’ll fall in love with the idea of a sweetheart table!
Why you’ll love a sweetheart table at your reception:
- Intimate conversation: with a table set for two, the bride and groom get a bit more privacy to enjoy their first few hours as husband and wife. Of course, guests will come offer congratulations—but the chances of a few quiet moments together are much higher with a table designed just for the two of you.
- Décor made to impress: with a sweetheart table as your reception’s focal point, you can go all-out on floral design and tabletop décor! Take time to make the table extra special with a stunning floral garland or centerpiece, distinctive linens, or even a meaningful place setting (using your new wedding china, or perhaps family heirloom plates). A sweetheart table is a grand opportunity to make the table uniquely and unforgettably yours.
- Easier to greet guests: a head table or guest table can make it tricky to navigate the room and greet your guests. A sweetheart table allows guests to come to you! Some couples may even leave two empty chairs across from them; friends and family can stop by the table to say hello and offer their congratulations.
So what do you think? Is a sweetheart table right for you? We’re in love with this trend, and we think it has a lot to offer for newlywed couples. That being said, our priority is crafting an event that speaks to your creative vision. Whether you opt for a sweetheart setting, head table, or regular guest table, we’ll bring every detail to life exactly as you imagined.
Fill us in on your ideas for the big day! As Dallas wedding planners and florists, we’d love to hear all about your vision. From seamless planning to remarkable floral design, we’ll plan an event you and your guests will never forget.
Dallas Floral Designer | Beyond the Wedding Day
Of course, floral design is a major design component to your wedding day! From bridal bouquet and groomsman boutonnieres to ceremony décor and reception centerpieces, floral design is an opportunity to make a memorable impression on your guests. We absolutely love wedding-day floral design from start to finish! However, it’s important to keep flowers in mind for events surrounding the big day.
Think beyond the wedding day when you consider floral design… The festivities leading up to and after the wedding are a big part of your overall engagement and wedding. Give them a dose of floral elegance with carefully crafted flower arrangements that elevate any celebration. Our team of experts can craft centerpieces and floral installations for any of your special moments! Be sure to think about floral design for:
- Rehearsal Dinner: don’t let this momentous occasion go unnoticed! The night before your wedding day is an exciting time to gather with loved ones and prepare for a ceremony that will change your life forever. Make sure it’s a night to remember! However, choose your floral décor carefully: it shouldn’t compete with the wedding day. Take the floral designs down a notch for the rehearsal dinner—still impactful, beautiful, and uniquely you… but simply a foreshadowing of tomorrow’s elegance!
- Day-after brunch: Will friends and family be celebrating with a day-after brunch? Whether you join the fun or jet off to your honeymoon, special guests will love an opportunity to gather and reminisce on last night’s magic. Add a few beautiful centerpieces to a mimosa bar for a beautiful and easy impact.
- Bridal Showers: Friend of the bride? Let our Dallas floral designer team help you execute a bridal shower celebration she’ll never forget! Whether you need table centerpieces, a floral installation (pair with photo booth props for a perfect camera backdrop!), or fun flower crowns… our team has you covered every step of the way.
- Engagement Party: Celebrate your engagement in style. Show off your new sparkly ring, and introduce any family members who have not yet met. This is the perfect opportunity to start wedding planning on the right foot… bring all your loved ones together under one roof to celebrate the journey! With a welcome display, food stations, and tabletops decked in stunning florals, you’ll set the tone for an amazing engagement.
- Anniversary: Want to surprise her with a thoughtful engagement gift? Let us re-create her bridal bouquet! Send the bouquet, along with a sweet note, to your bride. She’ll be so touched that you went out of your way to commemorate your wedding day with a custom bouquet!
With these events in mind, your friends and family will experience a truly memorable celebration every step of the way. Make every festivity leading up to and after your wedding day a true milestone celebration. Let us know how we can help! Our team of Dallas floral designer experts has hand-crafted distinctive arrangements for over a decade. We would love to assist you with floral design every step of the way—from “I said yes!” to “I do!”
Dallas Wedding Planning + Florals | A Stylish Soiree
We are thrilled to share Diana and Brian’s wedding gallery with you today! This beautiful couple planned a stylish wedding day at Marie Gabrielle in the heart of downtown Dallas. From the outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour, to a beautiful plated dinner and dance party reception, every moment of their special day was absolutely picture-perfect.
Marie Gabrielle’s venue set the tone for an elegant occasion. Tucked into downtown Dallas, it offers the perfect mix of garden haven and urban sophistication. Guests entered the courtyard and were welcomed with hot chocolate and cider—a cozy and hospitable touch (although the weather couldn’t have been better for this January date!). The outdoor garden area created an intimate feel for the ceremony space, even with plenty of guests in attendance.
Our team crafted an elegant floral arch for the ceremony, featuring a neutral color palette with ivory blooms and lush greenery. Garden lanterns lining the aisle were the finishing touch.
After the happy couple said “I do,” guests processed into the courtyard for a cocktail hour under the string lights. At the reception, we created a distinctive head table for the newlyweds and bridal party with elevated floral centerpieces and a green garland dotted with succulents. Guests were seated at round tables with chic ghost chairs and organic centerpieces.
It was a beautiful scene, but there is no doubt in our mind… the people are what really made the whole setting special! This couple and their families were beautiful inside and out. It was obvious that Diana and Brian were simply meant to be—and their families were overjoyed to see the happy couple tie the knot. Plus, we had a surprise guest appearance… Diana and Brian’s dog! The party just wouldn’t be complete without a visit from man’s best friend.
Congratulations, Diana and Brian! It was a joy to be part of your special day, and our Dallas wedding planning team is so honored that we got to take part in it. Thank you for allowing us to help bring your vision to life.
Floral Design: A Stylish Soiree
Photography: Andrea Elizabeth Photography
Recently engaged? Hooray! A Stylish Soiree is here to help with plenty of tips about wedding planning and floral design. We recently posted a list of your first five wedding planning tasks… don’t worry, they’re not too difficult—and completing this list is guaranteed to start your wedding planning off on the right foot! However, not everything needs to be done right away. Give yourself a little more headspace by prioritizing essential tasks first, then tackling the smaller details later.
Start by taking a look at our list of five wedding planning tasks that can wait:
- The Details: we know, the details are the best part! It’s tough to set aside your ideas for the personalized touches like signature cocktails, custom-printed cocktail napkins, or welcome signage. But if you’re still in the early stage of planning, the truth is that these items can wait. Focus on the big-ticket items first, like booking major vendors (venue, wedding planner, photographer). Shuffle the detail items to the “low priority” section of your wedding checklist, at least for now!
- Seating Charts: no matter how organized you are, seating charts will always fluctuate until the week of the wedding. There’s no need to fret about who will sit with who? for now! Don’t stress about any seating details until you have a firm idea of the guest list. This item will be one of your last wedding-week to-do’s.
- Legal Stuff: for now, don’t worry about obtaining your marriage license. In the state of Texas, you cannot obtain a valid marriage license more than 90 days before the ceremony. Keep this task on your checklist, but move it down to the month-of the wedding.
- Honeymoon: a relaxing vacation sounds like a dream getaway when you’re planning a wedding! However, there’s no need to organize travel logistics just yet. Save honeymoon planning for about two months prior to the big day—or better yet, see if your groom wants to handle a few of these details!
- Name Change: if either of you plan to change your name, don’t worry about it until after the wedding. Most newlyweds choose to make honeymoon logistics easier by maintaining their birth names until after they return from the trip. Once you’ve settled back in at home, take a day off to visit all the necessary legal offices to finalize your married name—as official Mr. and Mrs.!
Move these five tasks to the bottom of your list for now! Organize your priorities to streamline the planning process and give yourself a mental break. Focus your attention on the big decisions (venue, wedding planner, and other vendors) before handling these other details. Better yet? Let A Stylish Soiree help! Our wedding planning packages are designed to handle all the details from start to finish, so you can enjoy engagement stress-free.
Good luck and happy wedding planning!
Could our bride Diana be any more stunning?! She and her husband tied the knot this January at an exquisite celebration hosted at Marie Gabrielle in downtown Dallas. We can’t wait to reveal their wedding gallery! In the meantime, we’re excited to share Diana’s glamorous bridal session, captured by Andrea Elizabeth Photography.
Diana’s gown was absolutely made for her. The form-fitting lace, classic updo, and statement earrings expressed a truly timeless style. Paired with a winter stole, Diana’s glamorous look was complete.
You’d never know it from the photos, but these bridals were taken on a freezing cold January afternoon! Diana (and her photographer) braved the frigid weather to capture these memories. Scroll down to the end of our gallery to see just how cold it really was! Even in the wintry weather, Diana was such an elegant bride. Take a look:
And now for a peek at just how chilly it was… look what everyone else was wearing!
We can’t wait to show you Diana’s wedding photos soon! This glamorous celebration at Marie Gabrielle is one you won’t want to miss. Congratulations to the happy newlyweds… it was a joy to be part of your special day!
Photography: Andrea Elizabeth Photography